The Lovers’ Day , which is celebrated every year on February 14th, is an opportunity for all couples, both newly formed and established ones, to organize something special. Como is a Lombard provincial capital particularly suitable as a backdrop to the celebrations of love since, thanks to the presence of the splendid lake, it is a very romantic and suggestive location .
When Valentine’s Day approaches, finding the right idea for a special and non-trivial evening always seems to be a challenge: what to organize? If this time you want to arrive prepared for February 14th, here are some tips on what to do on Valentine’s Day in Como .
What to do for Valentine’s Day: ideas and events
Como is one of the most romantic cities in Italy , certainly the presence of the placid waters of the lake helps to create, not only on Valentine’s Day but throughout the year, an atmosphere particularly suitable for celebrating love.
There are many restaurants and clubs that, for February 14, organize themed evenings and special dinners on the occasion of the feast of lovers. Moreover, every year, in the numerous villas and museums of the city and its surroundings, special exhibitions are set up which have as their theme love , both the contemplative one of art, and the tragic and suffered one of literature.
1 – First basin of the lake by boat
Navigazione Lago di Como offers a scheduled transport service on the lake that allows the most romantic couples to make the tour of the first basin by boat . Not only that, during the trip it will also be possible to make intermediate stops: starting from Como the available stops are Cernobbio, Moltrasio, Torno and Blevio.
It is a romantic and quiet activity , suitable for those couples who are looking for a relaxed atmosphere to enjoy each other’s company without too much frills.
- Cost : starting from € 18.00 per couple
- Useful info : Pier 4 – Lungo Lario Trento at Piazza Cavour, on foot from the historic center or by bus line 1
2 – Seaplane flight
Few people know that Como is a real temple of flying over water , a tradition that has been active in the city since 1913, when one of the first rallies in history was held with the ” Grand Prix of the Lakes “, an international competition. The Aero Club Como is the oldest seaplane flight organization in the world and one of the most important in Europe, the International Seaplane Base of Como allows seaplanes to land and take off not far from the city center.
Seeing the typical shape of the lake from above is a unique experience, suitable for couples who love romance but are also willing to live exciting experiences together. You can admire the splendid villas that rise on the shores of the lake from an unusual view, the Comacina island in the center of the lake, Bellagio with Villa Serbelloni, home of the Rockefeller Foundation, the charming town of Varenna and much more.
- Cost : starting from € 180.00 per couple
- Useful info : on foot from the historic center or by bus line 1, Piazza Cavour stop then 5 minutes on foot
3 – Brunate funicular
Brunate is a municipality adjacent to Como known for the funicular that connects it to the Lombard city and for the numerous panoramic points from which you can admire the entire western Alpine arc as well as the Po Valley and the Apennines. Brunate has won the title of ” Balcony on the Alps ” because of the wide view of the mountains that is available from its altitude.
The funicular starts from Como, a few steps from the center, and in a short time overcomes a difference in height of about 500 meters, reaching Brunate. It is an activity suitable for all couples , which does not involve particular movements, but it is certainly something different and not trivial to be able to savor the romantic atmosphere of the village and the landscape.
- Cost : starting from € 12.00 per couple
4 – Private cruise on Lake Como
If you really want to amaze your sweetheart and you don’t have budget problems, you can decide to take her on a private cruise on Lake Como , with a delicious aperitif included.
During the cruise, in an atmosphere that cannot be more romantic, you can admire all the beauties of the lake : mountains, villages and characteristic villages, ancient churches and splendid villas. The romantic sunset light, to be admired with a glass of wine, will make the experience truly unforgettable.
- Cost : starting from € 300.00 per couple
- Useful info : departure from Piazza Cavour, on foot from the historic center or by bus line 1
5 – Relax at the most exclusive spas in Como
The most exclusive spas in Como are located in an enchanting place, which allows the most romantic couples not only to relax in the warm waters of the pools but also to enjoy an aperitif with a lake view at Terrazza 241. The wellness area with wet area also includes a sauna, a steam bath area and a heated indoor pool with water jets.
There is a long list of treatments, which include those dedicated to beauty and relaxation of the face and body, you can choose from a series of packages designed exclusively for couples . They are also easy to reach as they are located in the city center and a stone’s throw from the lake.
- Cost : starting from € 250.00 per couple
- Useful info : in the city center, reachable on foot or from the stop of line 1 in Piazza Cavour
5 romantic things to do for free or almost in Como
- A kiss overlooking the lake at Villa Olmo : its garden and park on the lake are the ideal location for a breathtaking kiss, you can walk to the lakefront (open from Tuesday to Sunday, from 10:00 to 18:00, free admission )
- A selfie embraced under the Daniel Libeskind monument : it can be reached with a comfortable walk from the center, it is always accessible and is the most “sparkling” point of Como, ideal for a romantic selfie
- Romantic excursion to the Volta Lighthouse : Brunate can be reached by funicular (round trip € 5.50 each) and then on foot via Mulattiera San Maurizio, in about an hour’s walk
- Historic center on foot in the moonlight : Como in the evening is the most romantic thing you can look for and find, if the shops are open it is the right time to choose the perfect Valentine’s Day gift
- Walk on the Riva delle Ville : from the center of Como (from piazzale Somaini), the walk continues along the lakefront in the Borgovico district. On one side the lake, on the other splendid villas with their gardens and parks
The best romantic restaurants in Como
- Feel Como , Via Armando Diaz, 54
- Kitchen , Via per Cernobbio, 41A
- Tira, Mola e Meseda , Via Gabriele Castellini, 17
- The usual place , Via Lambertenghi, 9
- Comi107 , Via Borgo Vico, 107
Offers Flight + Hotel San Valentino in Como
- Low cost flights: flights to Milan (50 km)
- Where to sleep: 2 nights in b & b / hotel from € 200.00 per couple –
- Flight + hotel package : Round trip flight + 2 nights / 3 days from 14 to 16 February from € 260.00 per couple
Activities and packages that you can book right away
Climate and weather
- Climate : in February, in Como the climate can be quite cold and rainy, the average temperatures do not rise above 8 ° and it can happen that they drop close to zero
- Average temperatures : min 3 ° / max 8 °
- Recommended clothing: winter clothing, warm and heavy. Don’t forget windproof and rainproof jacket, especially if you have chosen an outdoor activity. Better to also bring a hat, scarf and gloves.
Getting to Como is very simple , the city is only 46.5 km from Milan, about 50 km from Linate and Malpensa airports. Low cost airlines offer numerous very convenient solutions, even with arrival at the Bergamo – Orio al Serio airport, 110 km away from Como. Direct regional trains leave from Milano Centrale station (ticket € 5.50 each way) which arrive at Como station in about 40 minutes, the latter is located a short distance from the center.
In the city the offer of hotels, apartments and b & b is quite wide and varied, even if the area is not the cheapest, by booking in advance you can find convenient offers, according to your needs. Staying in the center could be more expensive but would allow you to take advantage of the proximity to the main points of interest. Alternatively, to save money, you can choose the neighboring towns : in the towns overlooking the lake there are structures that, especially during the Valentine’s Day, offer advantageous all-inclusive packages.